"Where Friends Send Friends"

"Where Friends Send Friends"

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Just A Little Bit More ....

Just A Little Bit More

“O God, I beg two favors from You before I die. First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny You and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name.” Proverbs 30:7-9 NLT

To the greedy, how much is enough is always “just a little bit more.” Even the ungreedy often have a difficult time distinguishing between wants and needs.

We live in a consumer-driven economy that is based on creating a demand and then supplying that demand, and everything is made to look and sound so appealing.

Whether the world or the devil is doing the tempting, it is hard to resist the promise of the beer ads for fun and adventure, the car ads for the hemi, or for more power, more of everything, shampoo for beautiful hair, etc. All we have to do is discard our old and try the new and improved.

Satan will often plant seeds of dissatisfaction with our jobs and even our marriages to get us looking for “just a little bit more” happiness.

Sometimes we are so focused on seeking “just a little bit more” that we have it made and don’t even know it until we mess up and realize too late how good we really had it.

Generosity is one of the best antidotes for greed that has ever been invented. It also opens up the flood gates of God’s blessings with which He wants to bless us.

What we really need to understand is that our worth and wealth is not based on what we have but on Who we have. We can always be greedy for “just a little bit more” of Jesus!

Father, help me to be like Paul and learn to be content and filled with Your peace and joy, no matter what my worldly circumstances.. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Chris Spears
Ocala Fla.


** Message provided by Homily Grits ............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I found your blog for the first time today!

Good stuff, my friend! Blessings to you as you seek to continue to serve the Lord with your life!

Your brother in Christ,

Phillip Hanes